Written by Gabriella Draney, Co-founder and Managing Partner atTech Wildcatters.
After raising both angel and venture capital, working at a VC firm, and running a seed accelerator, I’ve learned that finding the right investor is quite a bit like finding the right romantic partner. If you set your intentions and expectations up front, you will waste less time and likely have a happier future.
Here are the top 9 things to keep in mind when finding that perfect investor.
1. Finding the perfect match takes time.
2. Know yourself.
3. Know what you’re looking for.
4. Don’t be afraid to show a little leg.
5. Know when to ask for a commitment.
6. You’re a lot more attractive when someone else wants you.
7. Don’t quit looking until the ring is on your finger.
8. The real work starts after the honeymoon.
9. Sometimes he’s just not that into you.
The last tip is usually one of the hardest to deal with. Just like in dating, you will rarely find people that give you an honest yes or no. It’s generally because they don’t want to crush your soul by rejecting you. Unfortunately there are also those that want to string you along just in case. After all, who wants to be the guy that turned down Google or Scarlett Johanssen? Your best bet here is to be honest with yourself that he’s just not that into you and don’t waste precious time pursuing. There are plenty of fish in the sea.